News, Walden

Walden Home a Total Loss in Fast-moving Fire Friday

Share article

courtesy photo
Over 60 firefighters from around the area responded to this fast-moving home fire on Rock Road in Walden on Friday evening.

by Gazette Staff

WALDEN – The Walden Fire Department and FAST Squad responded at 6:54 p.m. on Friday, April 14, to a fully-involved structure fire on Rock Road in Walden. Incident Command immediately requested mutual aid from Cabot, Hardwick, Greensboro, Danville and Peacham, with firefighters and all apparatus to assist. The Glover Ambulance Squad also assisted. More than 60 firefighters responded, but despite their best efforts, the home was a total loss.

“They were home and they did make some attempt on extinguishing the fire. But it was a very, very fast-moving fire,” said Chief Jason Larrabee of Walden’s Volunteer Fire and Rescue. “We believe the fire originated in a shop area, and we believe that it was some lithium-ion batteries for cordless power tools that were the source.”

None of the family members were injured, but one of the family dogs was lost. The Red Cross is assisting the displaced homeowners.

Smith’s Grocery in Greensboro Bend and Hastings Store in West Danville helped with pizza, sandwiches, coffee and sports drinks for all of the responding firefighters and EMS personnel on the scene.

Comments are closed.