Hardwick, News

Vermonters Affected by Flooding Can Apply for Possible FEMA Assistance

Share article

BURLINGTON – On Friday, July 14, President Joseph Biden declared a Major Disaster for the state of Vermont as a result of severe storms and flooding occurring on July 7, and continuing.

Vermont homeowners and renters affected by the recent flooding who live in counties that have recently been designated for Individual Assistance could be eligible for help from FEMA.

This declaration makes federal funding available to affected individuals in Chittenden, Lamoille, Rutland, Washington, Windham and Windsor counties. Additional counties may be added at a later date as warranted by the results of further damage assessments.

For those who have homeowners or renters insurance they should file a claim as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If you are uninsured or underinsured, you may be eligible for federal assistance.

The fastest and easiest way to apply is to visit or download the FEMA mobile application (also in Spanish), wherever access to mobile applications is available.

If it is not possible to apply online, call (800) 621-3362 (TTY: (800) 462-7585). The toll-free telephone lines operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT, seven days a week, with language translation services available.

When applying for assistance, have the following information available: a current phone number where you can be contacted; address at the time of the disaster and the address where now staying; Social Security number, if available; a general list of damage and losses; and if insured, the policy number or the agent and/or the company name.

As soon as it is safe to do so, start cleaning up. Take photos to document damage and begin cleanup and repairs to prevent further damage. Remember to keep receipts from all purchases related to the cleanup and repair.

Disaster assistance may include financial help for temporary lodging and home repairs along with other programs to assist families recovering from the effects of the event.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loans are available for homeowners, renters, businesses of any size and most nonprofits. Similar to FEMA, SBA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance.

Businesses of all sizes, homeowners, renters and private non-profits can apply online at disasterloanassistance.sba.gov. For questions and assistance completing an application, call (800) 659-2955 or email [email protected]. SBA will answer specific questions about how a disaster loan may help each survivor recover from the disaster damage.

For the latest information visit fema.gov/disaster/4720. Follow the FEMA Region 1 account at Twitter twitter.com/FEMARegion1 or the Facebook page at facebook.com/FEMARegion1.

Federal funding is also available to state, tribal and eligible local governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency protective measures. Funding is available in Addison, Bennington, Caledonia, Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham and Windsor counties for emergency protective measures.

All counties in the State of Vermont are eligible to apply for assistance under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.

Comments are closed.